Happy Birthday to Me!

11/5/09

Yes, today is the day...my Birthday. Thirty-three years ago today, my mom gave birth to me at a hospital in Montgomery, Alabama at 2:35 in the afternoon. Words can't fully express what days like today mean to me. I'm completely overwhelmed with appreciation, love, friends and family. As I think about what this past year has meant to me and the amazing possibility the coming year holds, I also think about something and someone else. On this day, my Birth Day, I can't help but think of my mom and what today was like for her exactly 33 years ago. I imagine what she was thinking, what she was feeling, and what was probably going on around her. I think about these things and about her, because now I am a mommy. I fully understand now why today is as much of a celebration for her as it for me. Today is the day we both celebrate my life. Today, she is doing the same thing I do as I celebrate each of Jake's birthdays; she is reflecting, remembering, reliving the day her baby entered the world and the years gone by ever since. I'm glad that after 33 years, I'm still her "baby", and most of all, I'm glad she's the one I call "Mom". Thank you, Mom, for your love, for your sacrifice, and for giving me more reasons to be thankful than I can count on this birthday and every birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment