My New Project

4/28/10

So I mentioned this past weekend that I wanted to go to the bookstore and purchase one of author Amanda Blake Soule's books. I definitely went to the bookstore - actually we (meaning myself, Jim and Jake) went to both of the ones we have here in town. I didn't find either of her books at one (they were out...or maybe it was because I couldn't get to one section because someone else was hogging up the space in front of the racks...probably the latter, come to think of it), but I did find The Handmade Home at the other. I sat for I know at least 30 minutes while Jake played and Jim browsed around absorbing anything and everything I could about the projects she gave detailed instructions on how to make. I ended up not buying the book...I really wanted to see them both before deciding. That's the bad news. The good news is, the small amount of reading and looking through her book that I did, gave me an idea - an idea to make a quilt using Jake's outfits that he wore as a baby and has now, obviously, outgrown. I immediately got crazy looking on the Internet, finding a pattern, looking at ones that others have done, and dragging out and emptying the storage bins that have been full of things from his days as an infant that I just haven't been able to part with.

Since then, I've been cutting...

ump-teen...

itty, bitty squares of fabric.

I've also been to a quilt shop that's literally 5 minutes from our house to look at fabric to finish off the centerpiece of the quilt.

I've never ever tried to make a quilt before. But honestly I try to block that thought from my mind. Believe it or not, my expectations for the end result are still super high. After all, I am ruining perfectly good clothing. (Eek!) My one hope when I'm done with all the work is that I have an awesome keepsake to carry around with me as long as I live, and when I look at each square, I'll be reminded of the baby Jake once was and the memories we made when he wore that...or that.

So I'm not sure how long this will take me, but it's moving pretty fast. Mostly because I've figured out that it doesn't take long to do as long as you have the right tools and also because I'm working like a mad woman to get it done. I literally can't wait to see it finished! And I can't wait to share more pictures of the progress.

With that said, I'm off to go make a few more cuts before calling it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment