Two Weeks in Review...After Midnight


Yep, it is after midnight, and I am still awake. I'm also still cleaning my house. And two weeks probably doesn't even cover the last time I updated you all on life in general around our house.

There have been ups.

There have been downs.

There have been moments that I wanted to scream in frustration, cry like a baby, sit in a dark room where no one could find me, and pray to God that Jim is with me all the days of my life.

He's been gone (for the past two weeks), and, for the most part, I've been living as a single parent. It's been really difficult this time, and I hate to say this (I so do not like the feeling that I'm wishing my life away!), but I'm glad these past two weeks are over.

It all started with Jim being asked at the very last minute to fill someone else's spot at a two-week course at Maxwell again in Montgomery. We were in the middle of a failing (and very unexpected) pregnancy, but the good times didn't stop there. Just when I was getting back to "normal" and was back in Tuscaloosa, Jake crawled in bed with me (two weeks ago this coming Tuesday) with a temperature of 101.8. My parent's phone rang at midnight, and it was me calling. I've been with Jake through every sickness, and this is definitely not the first fever he has ever had, but I just needed someone to listen. I also needed help. I knew he would be out of school for at least a couple of days, and guilt and panic set in over the fact that my absences from work were growing by leaps and bounds. So my mom agreed and made plans to come stay with us the next day (this is where living as a single parent, for the most part, comes in). Jake's diagnosis from his pediatrician was strep poor baby. sniff...sniff

So the fun began with a five-day antibiotic treatment and my mom living with us for the rest of the week. The fun part was the latter about my mom coming to stay with us. It was won-der-ful! I love having her here. Her company was unexpected but so needed. We watched movies every single night...our favorite of all of them was Leap Year (soooo gooood!!). She made dinner...she cleaned...she took care of Jake better than anyone else in the whole world...she came to my rescue...she "passed the baton" to Jim on Friday, and he was home for the weekend.

Ahhhh....the weekend. Jake finished his antibiotic, and we celebrated with a trip to Birmingham to do some shopping and eat an amazing dinner at PF Changs. We loved every minute of those two and a half days unquestionably.

This week has been great. It has been pretty uneventful other than a minor trip to the pediatrician...again. But this time it was for a simple prick on the finger for Jake's iron levels to be rechecked. They were low when I took him in for his three-year appointment, so they gave me some suggestions for altering his diet (mainly decreasing how much milk he drinks...which is a LOT) and a prescription for a supplement. This appointment was a recheck to see if those things worked for him, and this go-around, his level was great. He, however, wasn't so great, nor was I when we got out of there. He handled them pricking his finger like a champ. What he didn't handle well was the wait time to be called back. It was probably about thirty minutes long, and during that time, he managed to scream, "Don't hit me, Mom!" at least five times, "I want my Daddy!" oh probably ten times, and "Don't talk to me that way, Mom. You not 'possed to say that to me! Don't say that word!" once or twice. I was seriously waiting to be handcuffed and put behind bars...either for them thinking I was a child abuser or because I was about to seriously harm him right then and there. I truly have no explanation other than the fact that he didn't like what I had for a snack nor did he like the fact that my purse isn't a magic hat that I can pull anything I want to out of at any given point. I mean, honestly, if I could have pulled an entire set of matchbox cars out of my purse, I would have. But he just wasn't getting it. "But I said Please, Mommy!" Baby, I wish that would work, but I have no cars in my purse. "Don't talk to me that way, Mom. You not 'possed to say that to me. Don't say that word!".............Huh? Yeah, I'm still trying to figure that one out.

But now we've made to the end of the week (with no more major speed bumps along the way), and my other baby is BACK! Jim got back around lunch time today, and I am ecstatic!

I'm also I'm going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment