letting go

12/7/12

Yesterday was sad and hard - but really not as hard as I thought it would be.  My extended family has definitely experienced some healing over the last few months; so while there were a lot of tears, there were also a lot of hugs with a lot of genuine feelings behind them.  There was real love there, and that made what felt sad also feel good.

My cousin Gwen told me the cutest story after the graveside service.  She said before the service back at the funeral home, her youngest son, Dawson (who's exactly, to the day, three months younger than Jake) asked her and his dad if he could play his Nintendo DS.  They went back and forth about what to do because they knew it would keep him quiet and entertained but at the same time he wanted to play his video games during his grandma's funeral. Then finally, she said he looked at his dad and said, "Maw wouldn't have cared."  And that was so her.  There were no rules.  She lived out loud to the fullest and had the best time she could have doing it.  I'm so thankful I experienced that kind of love from her.  My life truly would not have been the same without her.  Needless to say, Dawson played his DS, and that's exactly the way she would have wanted it.

On a totally different note, I promise my next post will be a more lighthearted one.  I just wanted to let you know that I'm okay, I think my family will be too and to say thank you at least once more for your love, your sympathy, and your support.  You're awesome!  

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet post! Kids have wisdom far beyond their years...sometimes! Hugs, love, and prayers from my heart to yours.

    ReplyDelete